National Automatic Identification System (AIS)
The Director General Lighthouses and Lightships (DGLL) established the National AIS Network, by setting up 74 shore stations on existing lighthouses along our coast for facilitating Aids to Marine Navigation and tracking of SOLAS Vessels. The network is planned to track all the SOLAS compatible vessels and also those carrying transponders as per DG Shipping Notices so as to have an overall image of AIS complying vessels along the Indian Coastline which apart from management aids to navigation and enhancing value addition in regulatory roles of DG Shipping will greatly enhance the maritime domain awareness along our coastline and thereby add to coastal security.
The National AIS (NAIS) network comprises of following:-
- Seventy Four Physical Shore Stations (PSS) installed at various light houses on the Indian Coast
- Six Regional Control Centre (RCC) located at Regional Headquaters i.e. Jamnagar, Mumbai, Kochi, Chennai, Kolkata and Dolphin’s Nose Light House Vishakhapatnam.
- Two Coastal Control Centres (CCC) located at Deep Bhavan, Mumbai and Dolphin’s Nose Light House Vishakhapatnam.
- One National Data Centre(NDC) located at Deep Bhavan Mumbai
- One simulator located at Dolphin’s Nose Light House Vishakhapatnam.
- Viewing terminals for Indian Navy at IHQ MoD(N)/Directorate of Net Centric Operations(DNCO) New Delhi, Joint Operations Centres(JOC) at Mumbai and Vishakhapatnam.
- Viewing terminal for Indian Coast Guard located at CGHQ New Delhi.
- Viewing terminal for DG Shipping located at LRIT Data Centre Jahaz Bhavan Mumbai.